Bathtubs are built to hold large volumes of water, but they can also be damaged. Cracks in the tub's body, corrosion, and broken seals around the tub drain can all lead to a big bathtub leak. If you catch a leak early, you can mop up the water and call a plumber. But if the leak stays out of sight, you might have large-scale rot, mildew, and water damage on your hands. If you think your tub might be leaking, don't wait. Read through these common causes and signs of a tub leak and see what a professional plumber from 1-800-Plumber +Air can do to stop the leak as quickly as possible.
What Can Cause a Bathtub to Leak?
While bathtubs don't have complex plumbing, there are a lot of different points where a leak can from. A plumber will know how to fix bathtub leaks ranging from simple to complicated. Some of the most common causes behind a bathtub leak are:
- Bad plug: This is the simplest fix. Your tub might be draining when you don't want it to, but at least it's draining into the pipes.
- Old or broken drain seal: The o-ring around your tub drain can crack or shrink over time, letting water escape the drain. This broken can be a little hard to spot, but it's a relatively simple bathtub leak repair job.
- Rusty or cracked pipes: Pipes can corrode, break, or misalign over time, leading to gaps and cracks. A plumber will need to repair or replace the pipes. This a be a bit tricky in a ground-floor bathroom on a slab foundation. Clogged pipes can also lead to water backup that forces its way out through a seal or gap.
- Cracked tubs: Even the body of the tub can break eventually. The material may wear through, or it can puncture if you're washing a heavy, excitable dog in the tub. A professional plumber can repair the problem or replace your tub entirely. They may have to remove the tub to access plumbing fixtures (and repair water damage) beneath the tub.
Signs Your Bathtub Is Leaking
A leaky bathtub isn't always obvious. Keep an eye out for these common signs of a bathtub leak:
- Bubbling paint or damp walls under the tub: If the tub is on a second floor or you have a basement, the underlying surfaces can clue you into water damage. Look for bubbles in the paint, soft or damp walls, or mold development.
- Lowering water levels: If you're soaking in the tub and you think the water levels are getting lower, put it to the test. Mark where the water level is while the drain is plugged, and then check back in an hour or a half hour. If the water is lower, there could be an issue with the drain seal, the plug, or even the tub floor.
- Water damage beneath or around the tub: Whenever a bathtub leaks, the water must go somewhere. With a freestanding tub (especially if it has legs), you can glance underneath and check for floor or visible pipes for water or water damage. Alcove tubs are trickier to inspect, but you can still look out for mold, excess water on the floor, or water damage to the surrounding walls, flooring, or baseboards.
Act Fast, Call the Professionals
All plumbing leaks should be fixed as quickly as possible. Leaky tubs are especially dangerous because of the amount of water they can hold and improperly drain. As soon as you suspect there's a bathtub leak in your home; it's time to schedule an appointment with a professional.
While it may be tempting to try to fix the leak yourself, it's essential to call in a professional plumber who can accurately identify and resolve the underlying problem. From leaky faucets to drain assemblies, 1-800-Plumber +Air has the experience and expertise to help you get your bathtub back in working condition.
Contact 1-800-Plumber +Air for Your Emergency Plumbing Needs
Is your bathtub leaking and causing a major plumbing emergency? Don't panic; we have the solution for you! 1-800-Plumber +Air is your go-to service for all your emergency plumbing needs. Our skilled professionals are available 24/7 to fix any plumbing issue, especially leaking bathtubs. We understand the urgency and importance of fixing your bathtub quickly and efficiently.
Imagine the relief of having your leaking bathtub fixed by experienced professionals, ensuring that your home is safe and secure. Our reliable and prompt service will give you peace of mind, knowing that your plumbing emergency is in good hands.
Don't wait another minute! Call 1-800-Plumber +Air now and let us handle your leaking bathtub emergency. Our expert plumbers are ready to assist you and provide the best solution. Don't let a leaking bathtub ruin your day - contact us today!
IMG Credit: Beate Panosch